HOW DO YOU BALANCE TWO FORKS ON A TOOTHPICK?
A. Materials needed:
- A glass of water.
- A toothpick
- Two forks of the same size and type.
- Fix the forks together as shown in the image on the top right-hand corner.
- Balance the fork on your finger to find the centre.
- Fix the toothpick at the centre of the tines of the fork.
- Carefully rest the toothpick on the rim (edge) of the glass. Slide back and forth until you find the perfect resting point.
SO HOW DOES THE TWO FORKS BALANCE ON THE TOOTHPICK?
The centre of gravity of an object is the point where its mass appears to be concentrated. At this point, the object balances in all directions. Considering this setup, the fork handles are below the toothpick-glass point of contact, the pivot point. This puts the centre of gravity directly below the pivot point, thus enabling it to stay balanced!
TAKING IT FURTHER
What will happen if you light the end of the toothpick that extends into the glass? Why not try this?
Note: Parental guidance is needed to complete this challenge!
Share your results with us @eduspots