HOW DO YOU BEND LIGHT?
A. Materials needed:
- A glass jar or transparent plastic bottle
- 3 cups of water
- Liquid or dish soap
- Clean water
1. Fill more than half of the jar with water.
2. Pour in dish soap and then close the lid.
3. Swirl the jar for about 5 seconds, holding one hand o top and one below.
4. Set it down on the table and watch.
SO WHAT CAUSES THE TORADO?
When you spin the water, a vortex (circular current of fluid with an opening) is formed. Centripetal force then causes the water to spin around ths vortex, manking a mini tornado.
Centripetal force is the net force that acts on a body to keep it moving along a circular path.
TAKING IT FURTHER
Repeat this experiment changing the speed with which you swirl the jar. How does this affact the strength of the tornado?