Given the number of enquiries that we have had regarding book donations, and our ever-expanding number of community-led libraries in Ghana, we have decided to hold another book drive from the 9th-10th February. If you are at Brighton College please drop off books from 7.30-8.30am on Friday 9th February in the Abraham House Common Room, or alternatively drop them off at reception at the same time or on Saturday 10th February from 8-10am. We will be packing and sorting the books to send to Ghana in a container on the afternoon of the 10th February. Our pupil ambassadors will be unpacking the books and shelving them with communities in Ghana during the Easter break.
Please do encourage family and friends to donate some books, or get in touch with Cat Davison (email@example.com) if you know a local school or organization who would like to hold their own drive in the next few weeks, from which we may be able to organize collection.
We’d love to receive:
- Fiction (for all ages, but primary and nursery level children’s books would be particularly appreciated, as would any educational games and learning tools).
- Dictionaries (in English, and other languages – French is also often studied).
- Encyclopedias and atlases (again, relatively recent is preferred).
- Non-fiction (but we’d rather not receive outdated text books, revision guides, and text books extremely specific to UK courses).
- Science books (particularly to send gifted young scientists at the African Science Academy -see africangifted.org).
- Sets of fiction books (to allow classes or library book clubs to read novels as a group).
- African fiction, or donations to allow us to supply Ghanaians with African fiction (to donate to this cause, visit: justgiving.com/reading-spots – we hope our libraries to eventually have significant African fiction and non-fiction sections).
- Working kindles, laptops, computers, and printers.
We request that the books are:
- In extremely good condition, or new.
- Culturally sensitive – if in doubt, send it in, as we will sort through them all.
Tickets for our annual fundraising dinner at Brighton College on Saturday 24th February with guest speaker Tom Ilube are also still available. Tickets cost £50 each or £90 for two. Please contact Paul Wilson to secure your ticket, and for any further information. If you would like to make a donation to the charity instead, the link to donate is: www.justgiving.com/reading-spots.
Thank you once again for your remarkable support of this project, which is making a real difference to the educational opportunities of thousands of Ghanaians.